European Endurance Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Facebook
EEC Friends
RacingCircuits

New topics
» Oreca 07
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime24/7/2024, 22:13 by randomizer135

» Good evening from France
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime14/7/2024, 22:20 by azura_24

» Issue with the save function on GTR2
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/7/2024, 12:02 by dmjreis

» URD BMW M8 GTE by Scorpyo and friends
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3/7/2024, 10:29 by Scorpyo

» Hello
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2/7/2024, 09:28 by GogglesX

» Race Driver: GRID'S San Francisco track conversion from RFactor to GTR2.
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime26/6/2024, 17:47 by fencethetrader

» Circuit de la Sarthe Le Mans 2018 (re-conversion)
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime15/6/2024, 05:30 by vadhil

» Watkins Glen SRW (re-vamped)
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime15/6/2024, 03:13 by vadhil

» Mercedes CLR LM (1999) for rFactor 1
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime13/6/2024, 01:08 by Lukendrick

RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS!

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! - Page 2 Empty Re: RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS!

Post  harvestmouse 8/4/2022, 23:29

So the last race of my mini 98 series we're off to a track I've already visited; Sebring.  However, this is a totally different version.   This is the late 1990s version you can find here.  https://gtr2-endurance.forumotion.org/t4909-fia-gt-mod-release-topic-please-no-posts-here

Type of cars: 1998 GT1s

Length of race: 61 minutes  (not sure why not 65)

Number in field: 35 cars

Qualifying: Yes

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x3 tire wear, x3 fuel usage

1. How did it feel to drive? 1

Yeah nice.  However, a bit strange.  This version of Sebring was very...........'angular'.  Like having a female friend when you were 6 and meeting her again when you are 20 and seeing there's a lot more 'angles' than before.  The last corner I felt was very very strange.  Grip and bumps felt right.

2. How does the track look?  1

She's a beauty!  One of the prettiest tracks out there!

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

It felt totally bug free!

4. How competitive was the AI? 0.5

The AI is a bit too fast!  I worked my A$$ off to stay competitive for half an hour.  Eventually, I started taking a little short cut with the 'new' corner to even things out.

KK08 has suggest this to level the racing:

kk08 wrote:

Change these values in gdb:
RoadDryGrip = 1.00
AIDryGrip = 0.86
RoadWetGrip = 0.75
AIWetGrip = 0.61

AI should have 0.14 less grip than you, if it doesn't work as you wish change these values in AIW:
QualRatio=(1.1200)
RaceRatio=(1.1500)

5. Were there any track driving aids? 0.5

I felt a little lost at times, even with or maybe because of the detail

6. How is the track for big fields? 1

Sebring is very long so perfect for large fields.  I see no reason why this wouldn't handle 60.  The qualifying pit stalls are very neat.

7. How enjoyable was the track to race? 1

Yeah...........I'll give this a one............I was enjoying the track itself.

8. Is there any lag, slow down, break down of resolution? 1

Rock solid.  I forgot to turn my laptop 'turbo' mode on and still with zero issues.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 1

No problems here.  Qualifying was rock solid.  The start is extremely well done.  Zero issues with pit entry and exit.

10. Overall how was your race? 0.5

It was a lot of fun at first, but by the end I was hating it.  I started cheating to be competitive after 35 minutes.  However, after 45 minutes I'd had enough of being shunted.  I've never been shunted so much.  I turned the AI on and let him finish.  Glad to get out of it.  The AI was slightly faster than me so..........turn the AI competitiveness down at least 2% on what you normally have.

Overall 8.5/10

Last edited by harvestmouse on 9/4/2022, 18:36; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  kk08 9/4/2022, 18:19

harvestmouse wrote:4. How competitive was the AI? 0.5

The AI is a bit too fast!  I worked my A$$ off to stay competitive for half an hour.  Eventually, I started taking a little short cut with the 'new' corner to even things out.

Change these values in gdb:
RoadDryGrip = 1.00
AIDryGrip = 0.86
RoadWetGrip = 0.75
AIWetGrip = 0.61

AI should have 0.14 less grip than you, if it doesn't work as you wish change these values in AIW:
QualRatio=(1.1200)
RaceRatio=(1.1500)
I always forget if you have to increase or decrease them.

Try again and update your review. I never complain about AI too slow or too fast. I always adapt it to my level.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Giovanni Carbonaro, Italy

kk08

harvestmouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 9/4/2022, 18:34

I may revisit it in the future. I really want to try the reverse Virtual LM track. What I will do is add your comments to the review and hopefully it'll help players in the future.

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 10/4/2022, 18:27

Off to another of my favourite tracks today. 1967 Spa. You can find the track many places, here for example. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Type of cars: 2003/04 MR GT1 cars

Length of race: 70 minutes

Number in field: 48 cars

Qualifying: No

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x3 tire wear, x3 fuel usage

This is a great track. Great in real life and great in sim racing too. With a GT1 car and on GTR2 it might not have quite the right feel. For example the Masta Kink isn't really an issue at all. Where as on the ACC version this feels more epic. However, the unnamed right corner after La Carriere is a real terror. I've felt stress approaching this corner many many times.

2. How does the track look? 1

Just about a 1 here. I feel most of the 1960s tracks are a bit washed out colourwise. Is this period? It doesn't really work for me. However, looking at the Liege Bastogne Liege hills in the distance and the marshals standing in standing in scary places........makes it feel right. Some great walls and forest scenes too.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

If you get a corner wrong, particularly in the second half of the circuit you're race is over. It's very easy to go over a wall and end up in an endless tumble. Also, I set the race for 70 minutes, but it only went 16 laps. Lap times being a little over 3 minutes means it was a bout a 50 minute race. I think you have to set the race by laps not time. This might be fixable though.

4. How competitive was the AI? 0.5

Hmmmmm I don't usually win here. However, my Saleen was really planted. I was doing 3.05/3.06 laps on hard tires in a Saleen S7. The car felt absolutely perfect and I built a big lead. So for this race, I felt I was a bit fast.

5. Were there any track driving aids? 1

There's is and there isn't.....There aren't many markers, but there's also plenty of scenery. The problem with a track like 67 Spa is that it's so fast, it might take a second or more to realise you've missed your braking point. I feel you need to be slightly conservative with your lines and points so you can brake by where you are rather than a distinct point.

It's a huge course. It handled 48 cars no problem. The pits isn't very big though, so pitting and qualifying could be a problem.

I love this track. I spent most of the race clear in first with little competition. However, after pitting I could see that a few of my competitors weren't too far away. Some corners on this circuit give you real stress, so there's plenty to keep you engaged.

Rock solid.

I didn't have any problems this race. Pit entry and exit are a little dodgy, but that is part of the times.

10. Overall how was your race? 1

1 Thing that makes this race different is 'big crashes will play apart'. I felt I had the race won, then disaster as I hit an unseen car vs Burnenville and I fell to 4th. That's the way the cookie crumbles around here. You can see why drivers didn't want to race here anymore in the 70s.

I have to say I was absolutely disgusted how long Didier Sommereau was left to burn in the forest. How far after the corner his car finished really shows how immense the crashes are here. Maybe this is realistic too, as a complaint about Spa from this time is the lacks attitude to crashes!

Yes, my race was ruined by a crash, but yes maybe I could have been a little more careful in this situation. You need a bit of luck to pick the win up here. Great stuff!

Overall 9/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stefan Bellof.RIP 10/4/2022, 19:22

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Stefan Bellof.RIP on 12/4/2022, 18:09; edited 1 time in total

Stefan Bellof.RIP

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 12/4/2022, 15:04

Stefan Bellof.RIP wrote:Thx  a lot for your idea and efforts!  I would like to ask / suggest if maybe you could pls upload all your tracks as a pack after you're done for others to test as well. I have seen even though having a huge Locations folder that there are some tracks I have never heard of. Well maybe you could consider doing so. Cheers mate and keep it up!  cheers   TTFN  

Well they're not my tracks.  These are tracks that are easily (I think) obtained.  Mostly I'm giving links to where you find them.  Also, I'm not recommending nor not recommending tracks.  Just how I find them to race.  There's a lot tracks that I race and I think 'Wow that was amazing' and I'm sure tracks a lot of people don't use.   So I don't have nor willing to try and obtain permission to reupload them.

Another point is that I may not have the tracks anymore.  2 of the tracks in this thread I have deleted and will probably never touch again.

Lastly, this isn't just my thread.  I would like others to contribute too.  If you're unhappy with categories, feel free to change them to something more relevant to you.

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 14/4/2022, 19:49

Ok off to another a track I really enjoy racing. Like Sendai Hi-Lands, Tokachi International is another very enjoyable, but not very well known track! You can find this track on the Tripp server.

A little bit of surfing (as I didn't know who made it), I found it here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It was converted by MotorFX.

Type of cars: 1997 Gt500 and GT1

Length of race: 135 minutes

Number in field: 40 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x2 tire wear, x2 fuel usage

I really like the feeling on this track, I just adore the first corner. The course is............not flat. By that I mean you tend to dip into the corners. Imagine it being the total opposite of Motegi. The first half of the track in particular is great.

The tarmac has a lot of character, but outside of that it's a little bland. It does feel like Japan though, so just..........about a 1.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

It's a bit buggy. And the more cars, the buggier it gets. If you come into the pits slightly too fast you can get catapulted between the track and pits, essentially ending your race. The start is also a little buggy. The more cars you have, the more pitting will become buggy too.

4. How competitive was the AI? 1

The AI is just about right here. It takes good lines. The last corner is a bit weird, where the shorter and longer circuits meet and can cause the odd shunt.

Not something to do in real life. However, there's a lot of tire markings and a line on the tarmac. You can use this as your braking points. I tended to use the tarmac over points off the circuit. Particularly for the first have of the circuit where I wanted to be watching the tarmac to balance throttle and steering.

6. How is the track for big fields? 0.5

It can handle larger fields. The lap time in these pretty quick cars were 1.57ish. Slower GT cars will go over 2 minutes. However, the more cars you add the more likely you will run into problems. 32, 36 at a push is probably safe.

I really enjoy racing here. I think I prefer Sendai a bit more. However, I like this place more than Sugo or Fuji. Both of which are thought of as driving tracks. GT cars really thrive here.

Rock solid.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 0.5

4 cars didn't qualify. However they were all the prototype mod's R390s. These cars never seem to be able to qualify from a pit that's on a rise. Donnington for example is another place. So...........I think qualifying would have been ok with a different car. Pit entry is a bit dodgy, exit is fine. If you speed into the pit, you could bug your race out. Starting is a bit of a nightmare with large fields. If you have more than 34.........36 cars you can't space through the formation lap. It may take 2 or 3 laps of formation for the race to kick off.

10. Overall how was your race? 0.5

Today's race wasn't that great unfortunately. I had a real issue to get it going. Once going it was fantastic. Then on a pit stop my stall was right at the start of the pit and I had to reload it 2 or 3 times to get the car out of the stall. Again, this is all to do with having 40 cars. Less cars it would have been smoother.

Overall 8/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Skabagoosh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 21/4/2022, 00:19

Today we're at Brands Hatch. A 2006 version by Gobi and Taku. You can find it here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We will be doing the longer GP circuit.

Type of cars: 2009 GT/GT1

Length of race: 135 minutes

Number in field: 36 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x2 tire wear, x2 fuel usage

Yes, really good. I tend to have my steering set up really light. I really wished I had it a bit heavier for this race as it was extremely challenging. 2 times I got it wrong and spun onto the grass.

This track looks fantastic. Looking at the forest on the GP part of the circuit is amazing. The tarmac is nice and the cars looked really great at today's race.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

Paddock Hill Bend is a bit of a problem. Cars that have problems with spinning out will regularly spin out here. There were also a few issues with pits/qualifying/start. There were only 2 DNFs (both of which were my fault due to a missing dmg file). The race also ended 10 minutes early, which suited me as I had things to do and I couldn't avoid a late splash and dash.

The AI is nigh on perfect. I was in a race long tussle with the slower K plus K Saleen. There were no build ups of cars. A very good AI for those that don't spin.

This track is quite detailed. There's also a tire line. As well as this, this track has the beginner corner warnings that come up on screen too!

Hmmmm the Read Me says the track can handle 36 cars. However, Brands isn't the biggest circuit. In my GT1 Mosler I was lapping in the 1.25s. The vitaphones were in the 1.22s at some points. As I said before there aren't any build up of cars though. However, the start was a little problematic with 36. Qualifying I think can handle 36.

Really good. I had a fantastic race. A small complaint to the race organisers that allowed a vitaphone and a vitasystems teams to compete. Furthermore with a full size back wing! They ran away with the race. Behind them though, it was super competitive for the cars that didn't spin. However, if you watch British GT, a lot of the drivers struggle when they get here.

Rock solid.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 0.5

4 cars didn't qualify. 2 distinct teams. 1 was a dodgy hdc that was my fault. The other I'm guessing couldn't rock out of the pits being on a rise. In which case I'd put that down to the car (grand am C6). A mosler span on exiting the pit in qualifying. My guess is the light was red when it arrived and a car arrived behind it just as it went green and turned it. As the 4 cars didn't qualify it ruined the times of the others and I got a random grid. The start with 36 cars was troubled, some cars were spinning in limbo. However, spacing through the parade lap sorted this and there were zero issues with a spaced through parade lap. No pit stop issues, and exiting the pits is..................ok. You can see the cars, although they do join the line right on Paddocks. Entering the pits is a big issue though. Cars behind a car that pit brake for zero reason on the racing line when a car passes the pit entrance line. It will cause shunts.

Yeah I had a great race. If you have a field of cars that spin a lot (964s, Venturis, Esprits, 98 911 GT1s) it would be a wash out. However, for me we had a great competitive race for 7th all the way back to 20th. It was a lot of fun racing here.

8.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Skabagoosh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 14/5/2022, 14:44

Due to injuring my back, I haven't been able to race for the last month. However, hopefully I can do a few short races here and there!

This is the perfect opportunity for me to do a race at Vallelunga. A circuit I love, but have too many CTD problems. It's converted to GTR2 by Dutch Devil and originally done for R-factor by Zero-G. I'm using a slightly improved version by VeronC on Trackaholics. Here is the standard version of this track [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Type of cars: mixed GT1

Length of race: 25 minutes

Number in field: 27 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: None

It's a very nice track to drive. The feeling is just about right. The first soft left/right/left is one of the best sections on any race track anywhere! A real joy.

2. How does the track look? 0.5

I don't think it's a special looking track, but it isn't bad either! It does feel like the circuit is in Italy.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0

Well here is the real issue with this track. I've always had CTD problems with it, no matter which version I use. Right now on the lap top I use, when any AI car pits, it'll CTD. This makes anything more than a sprint race useless for me. You may find that it doesn't auto CTD on you when the AI pit (it doesn't on my desk top) but even still it's very very CTD heavy.

Very good, the AI is very competitive on this track. They give you a real race!

There's enough detail here to be able to pick your braking points. There's also rubber lines through the corners. You shouldn't have a problem here.

For big fields...........no problem............but it'll probably increase the CTDs. However as mentioned for long races..............sadly it's a no.

I just love racing here. And why I still use the track even with the CTDs. I always have a great race. This track is absolutely fantastic with the early 90s Italian GT cars. Fits them perfectly.

Rock solid.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 0

Qualifying is a no go. Starts are fine. Pit entry is fine.........pit exit...........no idea!

Yeah I had a great race. Longer however and it wouldn't have been. You need to keep races short and sweet and it'll be a great experience!

7/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 15/9/2022, 21:44

I'm still very much suffering with a back injury, and I don't think driving does it much good.  So I'm very limited on the amount of racing I can do.  However, before I got my injury I had a couple of races around here:

Adelaide 1991-1993.  It was recommended in this post on Trackaholics  https://trackaholics.forumotion.com/t7535-adelaide-1991-93?highlight=adelaide  
Originally for R-Factor by Carrera.4 and converted to GTR2 by So-Cal-Racing.
And I have to say it's grown on me.  I don't really know the circuit, so it took about 10 laps to get to a point where I could race.  So from my second race on, it became a lot of fun.

Today I revisited for the first time in a few months, and I had another entertaining race!

Type of cars: mixed GT1

Length of race: 1 hour 7 minutes

Number in field: 36 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x3 fuel/x3 tires

1. How did it feel to drive? 0.5

It's a lot of fun to drive.  However, the grip levels feel very artificial in a GT1 car, that usually struggles with front downforce.  Maybe this is to suit F1 cars.  However, I'm sure a public road course wouldn't have anywhere near the level of grip this does.

It's ok.  It has lovely period sponsors and it does feel 1990s.  The tarmac is fine, but a bit bland.  It does have these very weird 'vampire bite' style tire marks on the braking point for EVERY corner.  There so prominent that (even though I shouldn't) I ended up using them as my braking points.  This isn't very realistic.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

It's a pretty solid track.  No cars dropped out on the first stint.  Then some dropped out to fuel.  The leading Mclaren F1 somehow crashed trying to get in the pits and didn't know what to do, and ended up stuck on the corner.  This was off the racing line though and didn't slow anything down.  GT1s around a road course do not work very well.  However, this did.  So the amount of drop outs compared to the difficult of the track was very reasonable.

Very good, the AI is very competitive on this track. They give you a real race!  I finished 16 out of 36.  You do get a few trains of cars, but it's a street circuit.  Overtaking should be difficult.  I didn't see anything more than 5 or 6 cars though on 'clean'.

There's lots of detail around this track.  However, the tarmac is a bit bland apart from the 'vampire tire marks'.  As I said, I didn't even bother learning braking points as these were perfect, but very unrealistic.  I consider this a negative point.

It's not a big track, and the pits aren't very big.  However, I had zero issues with a field of 36.  It started fine, zero issues space baring through the warm up lap.  Altogether very solid.

Very enjoyable.  Maybe the most enjoyable street circuit I know of (I don't really like street circuits).  There are several challenging sections per lap, and no corner is so slow it kills the rhythm.  You can go a few laps where you're racing a competitor very hard.  Until one of you have to cool the tires down a bit.

Rock solid.

Qualifying I think would be fine, but I didn't do it for this race.  Entering the pits is............fine.  Though a Lark Mclaren leading the race didn't make it.  Exiting the pit is a bit of a worry.  You have to watch out for the cars joining on the racing line.  However, you do get a good early view of this.  And it appears the real circuit is like this too.

I started on harder tires than the rest of the field and I had a difficult first stint that culminated in 2 mistakes.  Another mistake in the 3rd stint put me well down.  After this though and the pressure off, with a spread out field I was pretty rock solid and made my way up to just in the first half of the field.  Well down on the winner though.  All in all a great race!

8.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 16/8/2023, 20:37

As my back feels like it's on the mend....hopefully, I have been doing a few shorter races. Also, Le Mans this year opened my eyes to modern hyper cars and that........I've been missing out on the best top end endurance formula for 15 years. So, I was excited to give them a try.

Unfortunately, unless you're a paid up member of GT IMT....hypercars are a bit thin on the ground. I have been having immense fun making my own hypercar class from lmp1s, lmp2s and DPIs though.

Today's track is Apuila Speedway It's a fictional track originally made for RFactor (which has the best fictional tracks) by Relesys and converted to GTR2 by Neel Jani. You can find it easily on ESport or Race Department.

The map looks a lot like the Jeddah street circuit, which is a bit surprising as it far out dates it.

Type of cars: Modern prototypes with LMP1 tires

Length of race: 40 minutes

Number in field: 16 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x2 fuel/x2 tires

This is built to be a 'drivers' circuit. With a hair pin turn and the top of bottom, with many sweeping corners and fast chicanes. The walls are close if you make a mistake and the track is extremely bumpy. The first 2 corners especially are exciting and flat out. On cold tires especially, it's a heart in the mouth moment!

Just about a 1 here. Somewhere between a 0.5 and 1 anyway. The tarmac is old looking and fits the bumpy feel. The overall feel of the place is of a fairly prestigious circuit. If it were real, it'd be one of the higher ranking Italian circuits. So the old feel of the circuit and its surroundings may not be a match. It does have a lovely Italian feel though.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0

Sadly yes. I couldn't leave my pit stall after pitting. I don't think there was any reason for this.....other than other cars pitting at the same time. Also, the pits exit is very tight to the circuit at an extremely fast point. Cars on the circuit brake if a car enters the circuit from the pits. If 'said AI car' is 50 metres in front of you.............that's a double retirement.

Very tough. I finished last in qualifying, but only .6 of a second behind the next car. I found the circuit very difficult to learn. However, in the race I could hold the cars in front, and they were extremely consistent.

5. Were there any track driving aids? 0

Not really. There were not turn indicators (not that there should be). Seeing the corner in front was difficult at times, and finding markers for braking points was very difficult. Tire marks for the 2 hair pins were helpful. However, for all the (and there are many) other corners, learning your braking points and positioning take a long time to learn.

My race was small, with only 16 cars. There were no problems with the field size for the race or qualifying. However, spacing through the pace lap started the cars in a slightly weird position, that maybe problematic with more cars. The pits are huge, and it's my hope this means they're able to hand a lot of cars. Qualifying with 16 cars was problematic, with 40.....it'd be a nightmare.

Extremely enjoyable. I doubt this track was meant for top end prototypes, but it works well with them. It's clearly built to be a circuit that drivers love and it has some cracking sections. Full out though turns 1 and 2, almost losing your wing mirror though the second, into a shallow bend 3 that sharpens blindly into the first hair pin is an absolutely brilliant section to race.

Absolutely fine.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 0

The start was ok, but on 'spawning' after a spaced controlled laps, the cars were dangerously close to the pit wall. My car was retired for no reason after pitting. The pit exit enters the track at far too narrow a point, which is high speed. This really causes issues, most notably cars on track braking. Also, I tried to learn the circuit through qualifying, which really didn't work. Due to the nature of the fast left and rights it's almost impossible to not be on the racing line and let fast cars through. I got collected several times and dreaded this would also be the case for the race, which thankfully wasn't the case.

Even though my race was ended prematurely by retirement, I'm still going to give it a 1. I was having a lot of fun and hopefully next time I can finish. I was happy with how competitive I was compared to the other cars.

6.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

kk08 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 17/8/2023, 16:17

I was watching GPLaps on youtube a few months ago, and he said something that really stuck with me (I'm paraphrasing here, but he said something like....) "It's amazing how a few changes can totally change track. Oulton Park without the chicanes is a track I love, but with the chicanes I absolutely hate it".

As somebody that doesn't know Oulton Park so well, and generally remembering having nightmares around there in the original PS Toca game.....I'd always raced with the chicanes because it's easier. However, what GPLaps said, inspired me to give the 'classic' no chicanes Oulton Park classic a go.

The track was converted by Lasercutter to RF1 and then to Zwiss to GTR2. With help from Gringosan, Taku + FrankBB. I'm super into Hypercars, late LMP1, DPI at the moment, so another race with top end prototypes.

Type of cars: Modern prototypes with LMP1 tires

Length of race: 32 laps

Number in field: 19 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x2 fuel/x2 tires

This track felt very nice to drive. There's a distinct lack of grip, especially with these prototypes that seem to take a couple of laps to warm the tires up. There are at least 3 corners that peak on a rise, and you really have to feather the accelerator back in as you come over the top. Also, in qualifying I really needed a couple of laps to get the tires up to temperature; which is exactly how they're doing it in IMSA right now. It felt an extremely realistic experience.

There's nothing wrong with this track, but there's nothing special about the look of it either. The tarmac is a little bland, and one of the areas where the chicane comes back to the circuit is a bit strange. The sections under tree cover are nice however.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

Nothing, really to report. There's a bump that isn't nice, and kills the speed, and could cause accidents. However, it's not game breaking. I also had to run the race by laps, rather than time as it'd end far too early. This might be a prototype thing, being far quicker than the original cars. All that said, there was nothing that even slightly ruined my experience.

The AI was fine. Very competitive and the cars didn't make any stupid mistakes. The bump mentioned above was a slight issue. Sometimes (or some areas of the bump) the AI would slow...or be slowed and others not. You had to make sure you weren't right behind a car over it, and try not to have a car right behind you over it too.

There were plenty of trackside markers to judge your braking points. It wasn't easy though. Some of the corners on this circuit are extremely difficult and finding markers for 2 of the most difficult was challenging and unreliable (for me anyway). I'm sure I could improve my driving through these though, with time.

I had no issues with 19 cars. I very much doubt that would be the case with 40 cars though. It's a tight little circuit, with a small pit. That said, there were zero field issues with 19 cars.

Very enjoyable indeed. GPLaps is right. Oulton Park without the chicanes is a drivers track. The issues I was having felt like real life issues. If I got it wrong, I'd end up with a 'tank slapper' and heading for a tire barrier. The distinct lack of grip really plays on your mind.

Zero issues.

Very well. Entry and exit to the pits doesn't cause any problems. All cars qualified fine. The start was handled well, even spacing through the paced lap.

Great. 32 laps was actually perfect. There were zero issues, and I could really feel cold/worn tires. I had a lot of fun with this race......well after the 7 or 8 attempts to get a couple of warm up laps in during qualifying!

8.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2