European Endurance Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Facebook
EEC Friends
RacingCircuits

New topics
» Oreca 07
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime24/7/2024, 22:13 by randomizer135

» Good evening from France
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime14/7/2024, 22:20 by azura_24

» Issue with the save function on GTR2
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime3/7/2024, 12:02 by dmjreis

» URD BMW M8 GTE by Scorpyo and friends
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime3/7/2024, 10:29 by Scorpyo

» Hello
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime2/7/2024, 09:28 by GogglesX

» Race Driver: GRID'S San Francisco track conversion from RFactor to GTR2.
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime26/6/2024, 17:47 by fencethetrader

» Circuit de la Sarthe Le Mans 2018 (re-conversion)
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime15/6/2024, 05:30 by vadhil

» Watkins Glen SRW (re-vamped)
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime15/6/2024, 03:13 by vadhil

» Mercedes CLR LM (1999) for rFactor 1
RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! I_icon_minitime13/6/2024, 01:08 by Lukendrick

RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS!

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! Empty RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS!

Post  harvestmouse 14/3/2022, 19:46

Hello,

One thing that always bugs me is .............. how many great tracks are there that I don't know exist?  This thread is an attempt to get me and other racers to try out tracks and rate them on how they race. I find there are a lot of potentially good tracks that are pretty unraceable for 1 reason or another. So I have made a rating system.

If you want to have a go at rating a track and help other races find good tracks for racing please use the formula below.

There will be 10 categories.  Giving yes (1), maybe (0.5), no (0) ratings.

1.  How did it feel to drive?
2.  How does the track look?
3.  Any bugs/AI bugs?
4.  How competitive was the AI?
5.  Were there any track driving aids?  (turn markers, distance to next corner, warnings for potential hazards)
6.  How is the track for big fields?
7.  How enjoyable was the track to race?
8.  Is there any lag, slow down, break down of resolution?
9.  How well is the start/pitting and/or qualifying handled?
10.  How was the race overall?

Make sure to add the following information.

Type of cars
Length of race
Number in field
Qualifying yes/no
Standing/rolling start
Day/Night Sun/Rain
Deviance from a standard race

I will post the overall points score in the post below.

Last edited by harvestmouse on 19/3/2022, 02:32; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Skabagoosh likes this post

Back to top Go down

RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS! Empty Re: RATE YOUR GTR2 TRACKS!

Post  harvestmouse 14/3/2022, 19:46

1. Forest Valley Raceway GT Course by YETIsaj (Harvestmouse/GT1)                                   . 4.5/10
2.  Sendai Hi-Lands by Zetai S  (Harvestmouse/GT1)                                                                . 7.5/10
3.  Grand Valley (reverse) by  Ewan Chalker & BenMK1   (Harvestmouse/GT1)                  .  5.5/10
4.  Potrero de los Funes by Taz/Sigi/FIA 2000-2009 mod  (Harvestmouse/JGTC)                .  9.5/10
5.  Motegi  Road 2009 by MotorFX   (Harvestmouse GT500)                                                   . 7.5/10
6.  2007 Nurburg GP   NAGP version (Harvestmouse GT500)                                                   . 9/10
7.  Bathurst by Ignall and Dutch Devil  (Harvestmouse Venturi Trophy)                                  .8.10
8.  Road Atlanta 1970  B Lucas/D Noonan/TicToc  (Harvestmouse 96 GT1)                           .4/10
9.  Sears Point 2011  by mianiak/krivjur/RacerM   (Harvestmouse 96 GT1)                          .8/10
10.  Meteor Crater by BillBro   (Harvestmouse 96 GT1)                                           unsuitable for racing
11.  Osterreichring 75 by MotorFX   (Harvestmouse 96 GT1)                                                   .7.5/10
12.  Sebring 2005 by Zwiss  (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                                                                .10/10
13.  Helsinki 1997 by Zwiss/Maxellero/R Sarpiloa       (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                   .3.5/10
14.  Hockenheim 1999 by J Peters/Gobi/Uli2404  (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                           .10/10
15.  Spa 1997-99 (not sure)  FIA GT 2000-2009 (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                                . 9/10
16.  Laguna Seca 1998 by Com8/Maxellero  (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                                    .8.5/10
17.  Homestead 1998 by Tommy78/Maxellero (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                                .6.5/10
      ****PAGE 2****
18.  Sebring 1997-99  by Virtua_LM/Maxellero (Harvestmouse 98 GT1)                              .8.5/10
19.  Spa 1967 Zwiss  (Harvestmouse MR 03/04 GT1)                                                              . 9/10
20.  Tokachi International  (Harvermouse 97 GT1/GT500)                                                      .8/10
21.  Brands Hatch 06 by Gobi and Taku (Harvestmouse 2009 GT)                                        . 8.5/10
22.  Vallelunga by Zero G & Dutch Devil (Harvestmouse GT1)            .                                  .  7/10
23.  Adelaide 91-93 by Carrera.4 & So-Cal-Racing  (Harvestmouse GT1)                            . 8.5/10
24. Apuila Speedway by Relesys and Neel Jani  (Harvestmouse LMP1)                                .6.5/10
25.  Oulton Park Classic  by Zwiss & Lasercutter (Harvestmouse LMP1)                                       . 8.5/10

Last edited by harvestmouse on 17/8/2023, 16:21; edited 48 times in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

yuca likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 14/3/2022, 19:47

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to start with this track.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's called Forest Valley Raceway GT Course by YETIsaj and Veron found it on his hard drive. The fact it is quite long, for GT cars and big fields caught my eye.

Type of cars used: GT1ish cars, so faster older JGTC cars, plus a couple of WSGTs. Max bhp 650.

Length of race: 65 minutes

Number in field: 38 cars

Qualifying: Yes

Rolling start

Sunny

Deviances: x3 tire wear, x3 fuel usage

1. How did it feel to drive? 1

Yeah, pretty good. It has a 'lack of grip' feel similar to Enna Pergusa, which suits the rough looking tarmac....almost concrete look. Elevation and camber are handled well. I'm happy to give a point here.

2. How does the track look? 0

It looks quite rough actually. There's nothing actually wrong with it, but it's quite basic. The pits are minimal, the tarmac looks very simple and doesn't hold up very well on high graphics. It's missing a lot of simple things to make tracks look better. Also I was often seeing sharp looking objects in the corner of my eye that were catching my attention. It's ok, but falls short of a 'maybe'. So a zero score here.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0

There were no bugs during the game, so you can run your race without anything breaking. However the AI had a hell of a time. Several cars ran out of fuel, and there were numerous AI crashes with cars finishing on the circuit. Essentially, this ends up ruining the race. So another zero score here.

4. 4. How competitive was the AI? 0

The AI under performed compared to standard tracks. I was in a car that should finish towards the back of the grid. However, I beat the series leader by 30 seconds. This included a lengthy pit stop by me for hitting a dead car on circuit. I was also into lapped traffic ridiculously quickly. So, it's another zero point here.

5. 5. Were there any track driving aids? 0

There were no on screen turn indicators (which is ok, we shouldn't expect that from tracks). However, there were no racetrack markers for tracks. No warnings for potential hazardous points. There were rubber brake points, however I didn't feel these were usable. Finding visual markers for braking points was a real issue. The track has a 'track day' low track rating feel about it. I'm between 0/0.5 here but feel closer to 0.

6. How is the track for big fields? 1

36 of the 38 cars went out for qualifying, which is ok. So I guess there's pit spaces for 36. On a rolling start, there were no problems fitting all 38 cars. On pressing space on the warm up lap, this also caused no issues for 38 cars. Also this is quite a long track. Over 2.30 lap times for my GT1 cars, which means it's a little bigger than Spa. There didn't appear to be any overlapping of cars in the pits. I'm very happy to give a 1 here.

7. How enjoyable was the track to race? 1

This is a very enjoyable track to drive. The transition from corner 1 to 2 is extremely memorable. There are several (sugo) style corners with changes in camber and a blind flat out chicane that would have been banned years ago in real life. It's a very difficult high speed track that keeps you on your toes. Easily a 1 here.

8. Is there any lag, slow down, break down of resolution? 0.5

Yes, I felt a slight slow down in frame rate on high graphic settings. Usually around pit windows. The fact that the graphics themselves are quite basic is a little disappointing. I think as it didn't really affect my enjoyment I'll let it slide with a 0.5.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 1

Yeah, very good. Zero problems with the start. All cars spawned with no problem, and no crashes off of the start. Nearly all the cars qualified. Zero problems entering and exiting the pit. Zero issues with cars entering or leaving the pit area. AI cars do reverse to leave their pit stall, but that's minor. So a 1 here.

10. Overall how was your race? 0

Yeah, a bit of a disaster. Only 6 of 38 cars finished. Most crashed or ran out of fuel. There was no room in the pits by the end and cars were left on the circuit. It was a fun race, but I probably wouldn't go back. Maybe with slower cars and a smaller field it would be fine. However, you want to ramp up the AI difficulty. Zero is too high a score here.

Overall 4.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 15/3/2022, 01:42

My second track is Sendai Hi-Lands by Zetai S. I believe you can find this on the Tripp server. It's a track I love and have raced some times before.

Type of cars used: GT1ish cars, so faster older JGTC cars, plus a couple of WSGTs. Max bhp 650.

Rolling start

Cloudy

Yes, absolutely fantastic. The track is bumpy and rolls. The 2 corners after the first chicane in particular you have a slight sensation of everything going light and having to be very careful with the wheel and throttle. Very immersive.

2. How does the track look? 1

Yes, very good. I don't think the real track is a particularly attractive place. However, everything I need and want to see is here. My race today is a little cloudy. However, I believe usually on the sunny day, there's a bit of an issue with the shadow of the trees above the pit entrance. However, off of today's race, I can't fault the graphics or look of the race.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

I had a serious issue in qualifying. At one point a EB110 was touring around very slowly and had soon retired. I'm not sure they were bugs though. There may have been an issue with cars slowing on the main straight due to cars being in the pit, but certainly not major. 0.5 I think.

4. How competitive was the AI? 1

Absolutely wonderful. I feel the AI doesn't throw the car into the 2nd chicane like it should, but that's the only line/lack of competitiveness there is. I spent my whole second stint struggling for grip and not being able to close from 3 seconds on an XJ220 in front. Sadly it was just in front of me for my 3rd stint, however with new and softer tires I dealt with him, within a lap. Other cars were more difficult, and apart from the 2nd chicane there was no easy point to pass. I finished 16, a little higher than I should, but not by too much.

5. Were there any track driving aids? 1

There are no of the turner training aids, not that there needs to be. Corners with straights before had count down markers however. Tire walls were coloured and barriers before tire walls coloured another colour. The tire line on the circuit was also faultless. I could you boardings and tire lines for all my braking zones without any problems. 1

6. How is the track for big fields? 0.5

The loading screen states for fields up to 30. Today, I used 38 cars. I had a major issue in qualifying, but I don't believe that was field size related. I did a rolling start, however I could not press space and by pass the warm up lap as 2 cars were retired and another 8 cars needed to recover. However, if I did the warm up lap there were no issues. I don't believe there were any issues in the pits between cars (no yellow flag warnings or obvious retirements anyway). Laps in a GT1 took around 1.45 complete. Making it a medium (slightly short circuit). It definitely didn't feel cramped.

This is a very enjoyable track to race. It's enjoyable in a GT1, I think it might be even more fun in a Touring Car. The first section particularly is great. A straight followed by a chicane you really want to throw your car into. Then 2 corners with changing elevation, where you really have to watch out for the spot where the steering goes light. Another fast straight and then another chicane to throw your car into. You really need to concentrate hard for this section. The rest of the course and rolls and bumps that will catch you out if you aren't weary. The real course, probably isn't fantastic, however on GTR2 it's a real living thing. 1

8. Is there any lag, slow down, break down of resolution? 0

Qualifying seemed to lag out and I couldn't get out of the stall. In the past I've noticed a little bit of frame rate slow down in sunny conditions. However, in my cloudy race today there was no slowdown. However, due to the qualifying issue and past experience, I'm giving it a zero. This feels harsh considering that I had no slow down during this race.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled? 0.5

Qualifying didn't seem to have cars spawning out of place, but there was definitely lag. I couldn't avoid the warm up lap (with 38 cars). However, the start of the race was fantastic. All cars behaved and no cars crashed, span, or left the race until lap 11. No issues in the pits, all cars entered and left their stalls perfectly. Exiting the pits the cars quickly join the racing line, which is a slight issue, however you have good vision of this and shouldn't cause any crashes. 0.5

10. Overall how was your race? 1

I had an amazing race, I was aware of the cars racing near me and their pitting strategy. 32 of the 36 cars finished. 2 a little weirdly and 2 running out of the fuel just opposite the pit entrance. All 4 sister cars of these finished fine. I probably finished a little higher than expected but not by much. Near the end I was running near my team mate and we seemed quite comparative. I could see in my middle stint with a little bit of aero damage and harder tires that I wasn't as competitive as my first and third stints. I felt I was in a real race, great!.

Overall 7.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 16/3/2022, 20:36

Ok today we have Grand Valley (Reverse) which is a stock Gran Turismo series track. The original track (for R-factor) was done by Ewan Chalker and converted to GTR2 by BenMK1

Rolling start

Cloudy

Yes, a Gran Turismo track so a bit 'hollywood'. You've got tunnels, you leave the tarmac slightly, rolling sections etc etc. It's definitely a lot of fun to drive. I think Reverse maybe more fun that the normal way around.

Yes, very good. the scenery is beautiful and there are different sections of the track that look different. Instantly leaving the pits behind a JGTC Honda and seeing the grandness of the track gave me a great feeling. 2 of the tunnels don't have shadows and there's a weird lights glitch right after. This is minimal though.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0

There seems to be an issue with cars going slow. I had 1 car doing 5 minute laps in qualifying. Cars also get caught up behind lap cars. It seems there's nearly always 1 car going around at a very slow speed.

4. How competitive was the AI? 0.5

I had some great battles in this race, that went on for longish periods. However, I was into lapped traffic very quickly and after 20 minutes there were only 10 (of 38) cars still competitive. By the end of the race this was down to 9. All the other cars were just going round looking for the finish really.

5. Were there any track driving aids? 0.5

The only on screen turner was coming out of the pits...............which sent me in the wrong direction. I guess this is because I'm using the 'reverse' . There is no rubber lines on the tarmac. Possibly because you can drive it in both directions. There are a lot of boards and markers for your braking points. However, the most dangerous corner on the circuit is a plain brick wall. You can use some of the turn markers for braking points though.

All 38 cars qualified. No problem with the start, even when pressing space to miss the warm up lap. The pits are HUGE. However I had a Mosler sharing my pit stall. Lap times are around 1.55 for GT1s, which is a good length. However, I was into lapped traffic very quickly and cars get held up behind other cars for long periods. It's a hard track to over take on.

7. How enjoyable was the track to race? 0

If it was a 20 minute race, I'd definitely have given this a '1'. However after 40 minutes I just wanted it to finish. Too frustrated having the race stall behind trains of cars. It felt like there 10 cars racing for a minute or so before hitting a line of cars and having to be patient. It's a very hard track not to make a mistake at some point, which most AI cars did.

8. Is there any lag, slow down, break down of resolution? 1

No slow down noticed. Everything was very smooth for the whole race.

Qualifying went pretty well, apart from 1 car doing 5 minute laps. The pits is also very big and spacious which prevents pitting problems. The start of the race went very well and was a great experience. The pit straight is very wide and there were cars everywhere. However, they all behaved very well for the first few laps. Entering and leaving the pits is a big issue. With AI cars braking for the pit on the racing line and also leaving the pit they quickly join the racing line which is very high speed at that point. It does cause collisions.

10. Overall how was your race? 0.5

At parts it was great, and other parts it wasn't. It may have worked a lot lot better with less cars. It definitely would have worked a lot better with less distance. At times it was extremely fun, but the last stint I was wishing for the finish. However, the last 2 laps I ended up in a close battle that made it fun again........... It's a bit hit and miss, but there's great racing to be had on this track!.

Overall 5.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

kk08 and Skabagoosh like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 19/3/2022, 02:58

Ok today I tried to recreate a some what accurate..ish 2000 Poka 1000km. Well cars anyway, not distance.

However instead of racing on Suzuka, we raced on the stunning Potrero de los Funes. If you don't know the circuit it's in Argentina. There's an amazing FIA GT race on youtube that's worth a watch. The original track was made by Taz. However, that track didn't support more than 20-30 cars. The track was updated by Sigi. This is the FIA GT 2000-2009 mod version that supports much more than 20-30 cars (which could be the Sigi version).

Type of cars used: mainly GT500, some GT300. However, like the real 2000 Poka race Lister, Marcos, Freisinger and Chamberlain (vipers) all sent cars over.

Length of race: 90 minutes

Number in field: A massive 52 car field

Qualifying: No, I didn't feel it was fair to try 52 cars in qualifying

Rolling start

Cloudy

Deviances: x2 tire wear, x2 fuel usage

Very nice, it a bumpy track and I was driving one of the Freisinger 993 Evos. I really felt like I had to be careful and prepare for every corner. I could feel the bumps through my wheel and more than once I had to catch the wheel on some of the faster corners.

Just about a 1 here. The track itself is great and so are the surroundings. My only gripe is the lake in this version looks very lackluster. As it's not really part of the track, I let it slide.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

Racing 52 cars, it held up pretty well, better than I expected it to actually. There were accidents however. Around 10 cars didn't finish, all to accidents. On lap one I saw a Nissan GTR flip through the air so many times it looked like a red and white barber sign. I was regularly getting yellow flag warnings and I think I saw at least 1000 purple and white 993s facing in the wrong direction.

Maybe I got lucky with this, however the competitiveness of the FIA GT and the JGTC GT500 cars was amazingly close. Possibly because it's a large circuit with some straights allowed the GT cars to compete with the JGTC cars. In my 993 Evo car, I was in a race long battle with the Nakajima NSX. And just behind us was a Nissan GTR, Mclaren F1, Lister Storm , 2 JLOC Diablos and a Toms Supra. A very tense and competitive finish.

This track has the pop up turn markers if needed, which is quite rare I guess. They aren't really necessary though, as there's plenty of course markers to judge your breaking zones.

I raced 52 cars and 42 cars finished, which speaks for itself. Curiously all but one Nissan GTR crashed out. So possibly a lot of the non-finishes were car related more than course related. Lapped traffic stayed competitive........ish. There were a lot of spins and bumps though.

It's a large track, around 2.20 in my 2000 993 Evo and there's plenty going on. There are 3 fastish right handers that go up hill slightly and test your driving. The fast straights get bumpy and cause problems with even the slightest bend.

No slow down noticed. Everything was very smooth for the whole race.

I didn't do qualifying for this one. The start went smoothly (though there were crashes on the first lap). I could press space to miss the warm up lap and all cars spawned perfectly. Most impressively though, there were no pit issues with cars trying to share bays, even with a field of 52!

unbelievably good. I spent the whole race just in front of the Nakajima NSX only to be passed in the pits on the last stop. With a few laps to go and all the pit stops done. The Locktite GTR appeared (who I had been racing closely an hour before) and a Jloc car and a Mclaren that I believe managed 1 less stop than me were just ahead. With a Toms Supra and Lister Storm closing and me with fuel issues it was a frantic but enjoyable end to the 90 minutes.

Overall 9.5/10 (from racing this track before, this score is a little kind, but........rating it on the race I just had the course was epic!)

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 20/3/2022, 04:05

So we're back to Japan today.  For the 'twin rings' of Motegi road course.  Converted to GTR2 by MotorFX.  It's available at Race Department, Esport racing to name just 2.  Motegi is a good sized track, I was lapping around the 1:55s, so average to just over average length.

Type of cars used:  JGTC GT500 2000 cars

Length of race: 60 minutes

Number in field: 41 cars

Rolling start

Cloudy

Yes, pretty good.  It's an easy track and SGT style cars are maybe a little on the boring side.  However with the metal brakes it's very important to get your braking distances correct.

2. How does the track look? 0.5

There, wasn't anything really wrong.  However, it is a little bland.  Also the countryside surrounding the track doesn't look very Japanese.  I feel I'm looking at British rolling hills.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

Very very stable.  It felt rock solid on this front.

The AI is a little slow.  You'll probably want to add 1 or 2% on what you usually run.  Also trains of cars started to form, yes it is difficult to pass at Motegi and I was racing with only 1 class.  However, near the end I counted a train of 11 cars.  That said, I was in a close battle with second and third place for the whole race and only really pulled away due to pit strategy.  Possibly you might want to up the aggression level slightly, crashes really don't seem to be an issue here.

Tire lines were very good, and the tracks so open and flat that you shouldn't make many mistakes.  However, there are no corner markers and very little signage.  I used tire rubber marks for all my braking points, which you really shouldn't do.

I had a field of 41 and zero issues.  Only 3 cars didn't finish.  1 ran out of fuel and the other 2 I think are my mistake as I saw them smoking in qualifying.  I saw nor heard any issues with the pits.  This track really does feel rock solid.

7. How enjoyable was the track to race? 0.5

It's not a very exciting track, and I've had more enjoyable races at Motegi.  However I was never bored and  I wasn't sure of the win until very late, due to late pitters.

It's quite a simple looking track, but as I said before rock solid.  So no slow down noticed. Everything was very smooth for the whole race.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled?  1

Every car managed to do qualifying, which is no small feat with 41 cars.  The start was error free.  Curiously the pole sitter got away very slowly.  Entering the pits can be a bit of an issue, but that's more about Motegi and the conversion.  Exiting the pit is fine, there's lots of vision.  I'm not sure there was any contact between any of the cars.  

It was very solid and issue free.  However, the only thing that kept it exciting was the pit strategies.  

Overall 7.5/10

Last edited by harvestmouse on 22/3/2022, 23:35; edited 2 times in total

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 20/3/2022, 19:06

Another race today.  This time the JGTC cars are on the Nurburg GP circuit.  I recently changed the Nurburg circuit that I used.  I really liked the one I was using, however, I found that a lot of cars (98 Porsche GT1/MC12) that used GT SET 2 tires span several times a race on a certain corner.  So, I changed to the Nurburg GP circuit that the NAGP League used.    Sadly NAGP is no more and possibly it cannot be downloaded any more.  If you want it, I can pass it on if needed.

I had a little go on it a few weeks ago and it shocked me how difficult I found it.  It felt like I didn't know the circuit at all.  Thankfully, today was difficult, but not as difficult.  I have no idea who made this circuit.

Type of cars used:  JGTC GT500 2000 cars

Length of race: 60 minutes

Number in field: 41 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Yes, pretty good.  I had a lot of personal driving issues and the track did feel like it had a lot less grip than I expected Nurburg to feel.  I'm also not sure the bumpiness was accurately depicted.   However, the bumpiness was there and setting up the stiffness of my car was a real challenge.  There was a section where new tarmac had been laid and I genuinely could feel more grip here....BRILLIANT.  So, it does qualify for a 1 here.

2. How does the track look?  1

One of the best looking tracks.  Plenty of detail, the tarmac looks great.  As I mentioned earlier there's a section of tarmac that has been replaced.  This is depicted on this version.  I can see the black forest perfectly detailed in the distance.   The stands at the bottom of the corner are fantastic to race towards.  There's also plenty of pit detail.  

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

Definitely some issues here.  The last corner seemed to cause a lot of problems for the AI.  Lots of spinning here.  Also there was a Supra facing sideways on the pit entrance.  The non finishing rate was a little higher than I would expect, but not massively so.  However, 2 cars I consider bullet proof had engine failure.    I tend to run races with a low attrition rate and had the track set at 'attrition 10'.    I was often being warn with yellow flags during the race and saw an eye watering scene of a car in flames and another in its side......no word from the families about the drivers' condition yet.

Night and day difference to Motegi here.  I was really up against it.   At Motegi I qualified 5th and won.  Here I qualified 30th and finished 14th and holding on for 14th.  At one point I was behind an identical NSX and I could see him having similar understeer/lack of grip problems I was having.  A very good AI setting.

The circuit has the on screen beginner type turn markers.  This are a little strange though has the gear suggestion were definitely not for the stock game cars.  One flat out corner that I'd take in 6th had a 5th gear suggestion and the uphill chicane that I took in 5th was suggested as 3rd.  So these weren't that useful.  That said, there's a nice tire line and plenty of markers by the side of the course to set your braking points.

A very large pits (what you expect from NAGP circuits.  Zero problems with qualifying and field size.  Slight problems with cars getting caught up behind lapped cars, however the AI was quite aggressive to the scourge of 2000 JGTC ..........namely the 1001 purple and white Porsches!  If you're not passing a purple and white porsche per lap, you ain't going fast enough!

Yeah, I'm not sure I enjoy it more than the Nurburg I used to use.  However, it is very enjoyable.  I found it tough.............very tough.  However, the challenge was fun.

Zero issues here, even though.  A.  It's a great looking track.  B.  I forgot to put my gaming laptop in 'turbo mode' for the race.

9. How well is the start/pits and/or qualifying handled?  0.5

Every car got all their laps in qualifying.  With 41 cars, that's quite impressive.  I had a small issue in qualifying where when I came into the pit, this was not recognised and I had to pit manually.  Leaving the pit isn't an issue, the AI cars take their time to move over to the racing line.  Entering the pit is an issue.  As mentioned before there was a Supra facing sideways in the pit entrance.  This car was retired, so I'm guessing it could not recover from this.   I also was given a yellow flag a few times passing the pits.  I'm guessing because of similar issues.

A tough and competitive race.  All the cars were giving there best to the very end.

Overall  9/10  9 feels a little kind, but a great track never the less.

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 23/3/2022, 00:03

Today's course is the best circuit in the world (if you ask an Australian)  the legendary Bathurst/Mnt Panorama.  The version I'm using is converted to GTR2 by Ingall and Dutchdevil.  Bathurst is longer than most tracks.  However, these trophy cars from 94 really are no slouches.  On hard tires I was regularly doing 2.17s and 2.16s on mediums any lap without traffic.

Type of cars used:  Venturi trophy cars.  Mid range 1200kg, 400bhp with very good body aero.   Here's a tip,  if you want to run more cars.  There's not much difference in the skin layout for any of the venturi cars.  So you can  copy and paste a car file in a bpr venturi folder.  Then copy all the information before the number from the trophy car; paste it in the new car file and add a class you want to use and hey ho you have an extra (albeit no historically accurate) cup car.  Doing this, I had a field of 39 cars.

Length of race: 105 minutes

Number in field: 39 cars

Qualifying: No

Rolling start

Sunny

Very good.  The track isn't bump at all................I thought Bathurst is bumpier than this, but maybe not.  The first/last corners and the first part of the chicane after the long downhill straight all lack grip and you need to be very careful and precise on cold tires.  Also, along the back long straight in the cup cars if you move up to 5th (5sp gb) too early you'll lose some speed.  It was an added element each lap getting better and better at timing the jump to 5th.

It looks  good.  I feel like I'm in Australia and there's plenty to look at..........especially if you like super cheap boardings.....

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

It's possible to hook a curb go over the rail and be in free mode until you roll off the mountain.  Also the AI cars brake hard on the racing line for the pits very early.  There were numerous spins during the race but...............they're BPR Venturis.....  This seems to be an endurance track and setting race distance by time is a job and  a half.  I thought I got it correct, but alas was out by x2.  So I had to end the race prematurely.  

4. 4. How competitive was the AI? 0.5

The AI was pretty good.  Slightly slower than I would like, but took great lines and was very competitive.  After 1 hour and 25 minutes I was leading by just 2 seconds.  There were a lot of spins, but as I said these are BPR Venturis.  They can spin on Road Super Glue Ring.  I didn't see any spins that weren't caused by 2 cars being too close to each other.  Only 1 car fell out of the race and that was down to fuel.

5. 5. Were there any track driving aids? 1

Yeah pretty good.  A lot of the circuit is behind barriers, which is a little tough for finding your braking points.  However, I didn't really have any trouble here as there were plenty of realia to use to get my braking (I just hope the guy in the blue cap at the top of the mountain is there every race!)  Also the tire line is nigh on perfect.

It seemed ok.  The read me told me that it can handle up to 45 cars but has a small pit.  All these cup cars pitted and similar times and I didn't see any problems.  Indeed the field seemed spacious.  I didn't do qualifying today, but my guess it would have been trouble free.  Zero trouble with the start, even when space barring through the out lap.

Yeah good.  I always felt like I was going to win, which takes some enjoyment away.  However, I spent up to 5 laps behind cars not being able to pass.  Getting the inside in to the first corner but not being able to make the move stick due to lack of grip on the inside felt great and realistic.

No slowdown noticed.  However BPR mod cars aren't cpu heavy.  

I didn't do qualifying.  Exiting the pits is zero issue.  Entering the pits is a big issue.  The AI cars prepare for the pit very early and you'll do well to go through a race without hitting anyone.

Quite good.  I'm sure I could have made it better.  If the AI was a little harder and I didn't have to end the race prematurely due to setting up the distance problems I'd have given a 1 here.

Overall 8/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 23/3/2022, 20:46

DISCLAIMER Today's track wasn't built for big fields, it states that in the read me. So the score is based on big GT fields, rather than its intended use. Anyway, the track we're looking at is Road Atalanta 1970. The read me states that it's set up for 20 cars, which is very low. This track had grids bigger than that in the day.

I didn't intend to do such a big field, however I kept adding cars and came to 42. So things got a little........messy.

The cars in use today are all GT1. Mainly the better GT1s from 1996. However, using the .hdc from the NAGP GT1 mod, so the cars a little more modernized.

Number in field: 42 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

As long as you stay on the track..............great. It's a really fun track to drive. You do have to memorise it, but..........I think everybody knows modern Road Atlanta and it's not that different. The 1970s track has some really fun corners that aren't the same feel as they are today. And of course the old last corner which is a real rush!

It looks ok. A little bland, but so do most old tracks. It also looks a little..............like watching an old movie turned into colour. A bit grey and lacking some subtle colouring.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0

Ugh where to start.... Firstly the grass. If you touch the grass it's like super glue. 1 wheel at 250km/h and you've basically applied the brakes. I had an object spawn on the finishing line. My first attempt at the race CTD. My 3rd attempt CTD too with about 5 minutes to go and I called it a day. My 2nd attempt had some rain and caused a car park between turns 3 and 4.

4. 4. How competitive was the AI? 0.5

The AI was very competitive. However, cars dnf for zero reason or were going slow for no apparent reason.

5. 5. Were there any track driving aids? 0.5

A nice tire line. However, very little off track things to pick a braking point. This isn't a massive problem though.

6. How is the track for big fields? 0

Yeah It's just a no. Crashed cars in the rain cause pile ups. Qualifying was a write off. Be aware though that the read me said max 20 cars. However, I'd like it to handle more cars better than this.

During the parts I was racing, pretty good. There are too many issues to make it fun though. Even without the issues, just touching the grass is really annoying.

Significant slow down in qualifying. Even though the read me stats that it's a low/medium res track to avoid slowdown. No slowdown during the race.

Qualifying was a disaster. The start was ok. I couldn't avoid the warm up lap, but all 42 cars started with no problem when the warm up lap was completed. The pit entrance is in a really difficult place (hence why the moved it). I can't see entering the pit being any better than it is here. Pit exit I didn't notice anything.

Ok I shouldn't have run 42 cars, and I probably shouldn't have run modern cars. All in all I'm glad it's over!

Overall 4/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 23/3/2022, 23:37

A second race today.............I needed to go to bed feeling better about life than my hellfest around Atlanta! Another American track this time Sonoma/Sears Point/Infineon or whatever it's called this year!

I'm doing the Endurance length track from 2011 (titled Sears Point) made originally by mianiak & krivjur and converted to GTR2 by RacerM.

The cars in use today are all GT1. Mainly the better GT1s from 1996. However, using the .hdc from the NAGP GT1 mod, so the cars a little more modernized.

Rolling start

Sunny

Well it's Sonoma! If you don't like driving around Sonoma...........WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU! It's a great track with some really challenging corners. I had real difficulties with the top of the hill after the to uphill chicanes. (After 3a). In fact the first time I started the race I lost it on lap 2 and had to restart.

This is a wonderful looking track. The sand and tarmac look fantastic, there's plenty of scenery and hoardings and there are some great views of other parts of the track and cars snaking their way through the Californian countryside!

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

Qualifying didn't go too well. Ok I'm racing with a big field, however, some cars go stuck in their pit stalls due to poles being in their way. I was also sent in the wrong direction to get out on track.

The AI's speed is very good. However, a major problem is how aggressive the AI is. There were a lot of yellow flags and damaged cars in this race, due to mainly cars turning each other around. I think you want to put the AI aggression on 'clean' at most. At one point I was between 2 Lark Mclarens and I was being shunted by the one behind.

The track is extremely well detailed and has a great tire line. You shouldn't have any difficulty in finding braking points or your line. Even though there are blind and difficult corners on this circuit. In qualifying I had a turn marker jump on screen and point me in the wrong direction. That's a tiny detail though.

Sonoma isn't a big circuit. I was lapping in around 1.30. So, at that length it will never be suited to big fields. A plus and a negative point is you won't get car trains here, the AI simply won't stand for it. It was fairly enjoyable with a large field, and I think if I lowered the aggression (which I have in the past) it would be even better.

Hmmmmmmmmm Just about a 1 here. I had some great laps racing the AI. Sadly, it didn't last due to the aggression. At one point I was pinned between 2 Mclarens and I was terrified.

Looked great and was smooth. I can't question the looks or FPS. Fantastic.

Several cars didn't qualify which was unnecessary. Simply they couldn't get out of their pit stalls. There was room for all the cars. The start was no problem, plenty of room for all the cars. Pressing space and avoiding the warm up lap was also not a problem. The pits are large and entering and exiting the pits is handled REALLY well. On entry the AI brakes offline or at the same time you would for the last corner and on entering the circuit the AI keeps way to the left until up to race speed.

Well I guess I had a good race. 9 cars didn't finish (2 of which are my bad with a dodgy hdc). 6 of the other 7 were all 'accidents'. I also had a lengthy pit stop because of damage. However, I was in a race right until the end. I could give 0.5/1 here but............I enjoyed it from start to finish so............1 is the right score I guess.

Overall 8/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 28/3/2022, 19:46

Ok, so I decided to try this track  https://trackaholics.forumotion.com/t7331-fantasy-track-meteor-crater-in-arizona-for-gtr2-from-ac#141811  titled 'Meteor Crater' by BillBro.

Rolling start

Sunny

And...........................that's where I'm going to end my review.  It certainly isn't suitable or raceable by GT cars.  I would say it's not raceable by any racing car. I and nearly all of the AI cars failed to complete 1 clean lap and once you're off the circuit you slide away from the tarmac and will take an age or find it impossible to rejoin.

I think the main use for this would possibly for a fun hotlap.

So I will mark this circuit 'unsuitable for racing'.

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 28/3/2022, 20:25

Today I raced at 1975 Österreichring by MotorFX. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] For those that aren't aware this is the old track, which is now 'The Redbull Ring'. The shape is almost identical, however Osterreich is larger and more dynamic. Imagine finding out that your favourite lager comes in a premium edition! Well that's Osterreich's relationship to Red Bull!

Rolling start

Sunny

This is one amazing track. I would be terrified to keep my hands on one position of the steering wheel...........I'm sure I would break my wrists! And the guy that designed the first corner would be sent to prison for attempted murder if it were today! There's a bump right where you need grip the most. The difference between getting it right and being in the barriers at 200km/h is tiny. All the other corners are 4th gear or more in GT1 cars. It truly is epic stuff!

I tend to feel the 1970s tracks are a bit bland and dull. This one probably still is, however, I think it achieves the look it was 'looking for'. Ye olden days. The track itself however, does look great.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

It's an epic track and there are a lot of AI spins. Too many AI spins. Yes, it might be because I'm using 1990s GT1s on a 1975 track, but I don't think so. Other than this, nothing spotted.

The AI's speed is very good. However, a major problem is how aggressive the AI is. Again, I had it on aggressive and in future, I'd go for clean. On my first start, I was hit from behind and spun within half a lap. On my second start the same thing happened on lap 3. When I came to the pits my back end looked like a saw blade. There were plenty of other examples of the AI smashing into each other. The AI speed though was impressive. However, the corners are so fast that the speed difference between a car getting it right and wrong is massive.

5. 5. Were there any track driving aids? 0.5

With a track like this, I think it's very difficult to use a marker as a braking point. You simply can't brake with such finite margins. Rather you're looking for 'areas' to brake in. So I didn't use any trackside markers for braking points here. Rather entering an area, come down a gear, go for the apex then apply as little brake as you can get away with and hope you've got it correct. It's a fairly 'empty' track, but.........compared to other 70s track it has quite a lot of detail.

Really good. Zero problems in qualifying. Zero problems with the start. The track is also very wide. The first lap, having cars 3 or 4 wide along the start and heading to the stand in the middle of the circuit feels fantastic.

Yeah...................I'll give it a one here. The race was enjoyable, with examples of why above. It truly feels great to race here and the corners are wonderful.

Zero slowdown noticed. FPS was great for the whole race.

The pit looked small, however..........it handled all 42 cars! All cars qualified, all cars started. Zero problems pressing space to avoid the warm up lap.

I'm going to give a zero here. My race was over by the half way mark. Simple going through a very fast corner, a car span in front of me I clipped it with my corner at 220km/h and destroyed that corner and was unable to get back to the pit. By lap 3 I was in last place due to being hit, and by lap 7 I was in 3rd due to cars spinning and pitting. Maybe, with a clean AI it'd have been better. However, there were too many shunts and spins.

Overall 7.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 2/4/2022, 19:27

Ok today I'm going to rate what I feel is the ultimate track on GTR2. I feel this track gives the best racing (for the type of cars I use) on GTR2. The track in question is Sebring 2005 by Zwiss. You can find it here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Type of cars used: 1998 GT1 cars

Length of race: 85 minutes

Number in field: 46 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

This is nigh on perfection. First and last corner are as bumpy as you'd expect. The last corner has 'any line is ok' feel that the real track has and there are various corners out on the circuit which clearly has very old and very ungrippy corners.

Beautiful. Different tarmac colours, lots of repair sections and plenty of off track detail. Racing along the long straight to the last corner and seeing the forest in front of you is a real rush!

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

46 cars is a real challenge. However, this track says 'no problem!' One area that isn't quite perfect is that on a timed race it'll end slightly early. You can adapt to that though, so.........just about keeps it 1!

4. 4. How competitive was the AI? 1

I've never won around this circuit and I feel pinned against cars of my level. I don't think there's another track that gets the AI competitiveness as perfect as this track. On my second stint my 911 GT1 Evo came out behind a Panoz and I harried it for a lap, but could not overtake it. Over the stint it steadily pulled out a 4 second lap then towards the end of the stint I brought the gap back down to 1 second as my hard rears kicked in. Amazing stuff!

There were no on screen turn indicators (which is ok, we shouldn't expect that from tracks). However, there were no racetrack markers for tracks. No warnings for potential hazardous points. There were rubber brake points, however I didn't feel these were usable. Finding visual markers for braking points was a real issue. The track has a 'track day' low track rating feel about it. I'm between 0/0.5 here but feel closer to 0.

46 car field. No ai problems. No build up of cars on the track. Just a wonderful track for big fields. This puppy can handle 60 cars no problem!

I think GTR2 doesn't handle elevation as well as some sims. For example Mugello doesn't feel quite as epic on GTR2 as it does on other sims/games. Therefore a flat track like sebring brings the best out of GTR2. Although there's no elevation there's plenty of other things to keep you entertained. The first and last corners are epic and there are lots of difficult corners. There's only 1 corner on the track that is 2nd gear for GT1s so very little slow stuff.

46 cars, beautiful graphics and no slow down, enough said! Even with the GMT cars (which I feel are resource heavy).

46 cars all qualified. Cars qualified from behind the pits and found their way onto the track with zero problems. I didn't see any problems with pitting. The start was faultless, pressing space to avoid the warm up lap also caused zero problems.

Just great. There were some AI cars that spun. Most notably one of the Toyotas in corner 1. I had to hold my concentration after seeing it on the side of the road waiting to rejoin the back. My race was mid pack. I had a highest of 6th and a lowest place of 36th. That's how close the mid field was. Sadly my race was ruined by a Porsche GT1 lapping me that I mistook for a Zakspeed. Clipped me going into corner 1 and meant I finished in the mid 20s. I think this could really happen and adds to the epicness of this track.

Overall Comfortably 10/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 3/4/2022, 19:55

I decided I'd like to race on some of the period tracks. So, I have started a 1998 GT1 series on 1990s tracks. I'm starting with Helsinki thunder, which FIA GT visited in 1997. Why...........would you take GT1s to Helsinki?! It's a horrible track for GT1s and really only good for the spectacle, which was my experience. You can download Helsinki on the FIA GT 2000-2009 thread. The track was made by Riku Sarpila, converted by Zwiss and the 1997 edits for FIA GT by Maxellero.

Type of cars used: 1998 GT1 cars

Number in field: I tried 35 but no go, so I used 30 as advised on the read me.

standing start (as advised on the read me)

Sunny

1. How did it feel to drive? 0.5

The track itself felt fine. However, you just can't race GT1s around it. There's one section where you can get enough downforce to get some sort of feel. The rest of it is tip tapping your way in 2nd/3rd gear.

This is a really nice looking track.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0

I had continuous problems. Ok, I tried to run 35 cars, which really doesn't work. 30 cars don't work for pit spaces, only 24. Yes you can just about manage 30 on a standing start. Well one time I did, the other I didn't. I had a CTD, which may have been a championship error. I had another CTD when cars started pitting.

There's a lot of work gone into the AI here to make it competitive. Street circuits don't work very well on GTR2 in my opinion. And a street circuit as tight as this, having zero competitive issues..........is a real feat.

5. Were there any track driving aids? 0

I couldn't qualify or do a warm up and I don't know the track. So I was cold going into the race. I can see black and yellow tire barriers in front of me......but which way to turn........ I was getting into all sorts of problems knowing where the track was and where to go.

6. How is the track for big fields? 0

Doesn't work, finite.

7. How enjoyable was the track to race? 0

Hated it.

Slight slow down at the start, mainly ok. However it did CTD when cars entered the pits. I think this track is quite resource heavy.

I couldn't qualify. You have to do a standing start, I have no idea where the pits are or how to get into them. I'll give 0.5 though for the work put into the starts and getting all the cars through the first corner, which is impressive.

Unless your dead set on doing a 1997 periodic GT race, just don't. For touring cars or small cars of fields of 24 or under.............yeah this could be a lot of fun.

Overall 3.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 3/4/2022, 20:28

For the 2nd race of this little 98 series, I went to Hockenheim and the 1999 version of this track. I think it's this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] However, I can't find a read me for it and I downloaded it a long time ago.

Let me say this before we start. I'm not a fan of Hockenheim be it the new or old track. I think they're both over-rated. I've also raced on an older track and found the experience so so (on checking my hard drive I see that I have 1988 version too, so I guess I've used that one in the past.

Type of cars: 1998 GT1s

Number in field: 35 cars

Rolling start

Sunny

Very good. The second chicane especially you need to be careful and the famous corner on this circuit as you enter the complex made me nervous every lap.

If you only read one part of this track rating READ THIS. This is possibly the best looking track on GTR2. It is outstanding. The tarmac is without doubt the best looking tarmac I have seen on GTR2. Racing in the cockpit view and pressing the look behind button and seeing the cracks in the tarmac...............an unbelievable level of detail. Couple this with the amazing looking 911 GT1 and CLK LM.............I'm humbled by the experience I had today.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

Rock solid. 3 cars didn't finish because of fuel reasons. All different manufacturers though and nothing went out early. With x3 fuel usage this is more than acceptable.

Absolutely perfect. I was in a race long battle with a CLK GTR and a Champion 911 Evo. We found ourselves together after the first stint. The second stint I jumped them in the pits, the 3rd stint I was slow entering and the jumped me. The 4th stint I didn't take tires but felt them edging closer and closer. Super realistic.

With old Hockenheim it's vital to get your braking points for the chicanes perfect. There are board markers counting down to the corners. On old tires towards the end I had to slightly adjust my braking points. This was easy with the corner markers. Great stuff.

Uli boasts this track will hold 51 cars. I reckon it might take more. With 35 cars there were absolutely zero issues.

On a track I don't really enjoy...................I'm amazed how great of an experience I had. With my favourite period of all time (1998) I had one of my most favourite GTR2 experiences I've ever had............well right until the last lap when I was lapped by one of thos ****ing Toyotas!!! However were those things even allowed in the race??!!!

Rock solid again.

There was a hilarious thing that happened at the start. One of the Hybrid Panoz at the back just went straight across the grass and jumped 6 places! I thought to myself 'Am I racing online here?!' I have no idea why it did that. Anyway, start, pits and qualifying were handled perfectly. I qualified from a pit box out the back, however I could follow one of the Zakspeed Porsches to the circuit and there were zero issues.

An amazing race. I worked so hard for a few points here. At one point I was behind one of the Bitter's that launched itself up the inside of Bscher's Mclaren on that fast corner entering the complex. They slid off together super realistically and had me breathing through my a$$ and locking the wheels. This really didn't help me for a corner I was nervous anyway! Throughout the race I could see my position compared to the other cars, and it was affected by how well I was going.

A very surprising Overall 10/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 5/4/2022, 09:50

Ok for the 3rd (and last European) race of the series we're going to the legendary Spa. Now I'm a bit confused as to what version of the circuit I raced on here.

I used this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] But, I'm not sure what year it is supposed to represent.

The circuit is modern, with the new chicane. There's no sign of any public roads and most of the signs look new. However, there are a few Foster's signs, which suggest 80s??? The feel of the circuit is very much like the stock game Spa.

Rolling start

Sunny

It felt pretty good. It's really bumpy in places and of course you need to give this circuit the utmost respect. You'll never have as much downforce as you need. However, I was a little surprised at how hard I could push a 911 GT1 Evo through some of the corners.

It looks fine, but confusing. I'm not sure what era of Spa this version is supposed to represent. There's certainly nothing wrong with it from a racing point of view.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

Rock solid no bugs noticed. One car didn't finish only, due to fuel. The same car ran out of fuel at Hockenheim too. It might be time to look at the engine file.

I'm going to say it's a little too fast. Just like the stock track it's impossible to go through Eau Rouge as fast as the AI. This leads to 2 problems. 1. You can't make up the 0.5/1 second you lose and 2. You're endanger of coursing an accident. This is very much like the stock version of the track that comes with the game. Other than that it's a great AI that'll go for moves and doesn't get bogged down.

The track is pretty detailed, but not cluttered. There's a nice tire line and it's easy to find good markers for braking points.

There were a few problems in pit stops stalls being duplicated. With the Size of Spa that's a little disappointing. However, other than this it handled 35 cars fine. I'm sure with lap times over 2.10 it'll hand more cars fine too.

It's spa!!! If you don't enjoy a race at Spa then what do you enjoy???!!! It was a lot of fun in a 1997/98 GT1. I had enough grip to go through the 2 fast left corners in sector 3 flat out and minimal lifting through Eau Rouge, if I could get wide enough on the entry. I felt I had to push though Eau Rouge to avoid losing time.

Rock solid.

All cars had zero problems in qualifying. The start was handled well. I could space through the warm up lap with zero problems. Pit entry and exit is handled well.

I finished well down the field. However, it was enjoyable. I didn't seem to be in any epic battles and moved up and down the field a bit in different stints. I seemed to fade towards the end. I think because I didn't change tires at one point and that ended up being a mistake. Well you live and learn. Spa as always..........was a lot of fun!

Overall 9/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlefysh 5/4/2022, 15:40

harvestmouse wrote:Ok for the 3rd (and last European) race of the series we're going to the legendary Spa.   Now I'm a bit confused as to what version of the circuit I raced on here.  

I used this one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  But, I'm not sure what year it is supposed to represent.

The circuit is modern, with the new chicane.  There's no sign of any public roads and most of the signs look new.  However, there are a few Foster's signs, which suggest 80s???  The feel of the circuit is very much like the stock game Spa.

Just a note, this is the 1997 version of spa but it's not listed in the same place as the rest of the FIA GT tracks on the trackslist, it's listed next to vanilla Spa as it's named similarly. You probably ran the late 2000s version that's in the FIA GT 00-09 mod?
Littlefysh
Littlefysh

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 5/4/2022, 19:18

I've just redownloaded it and I definitely have the one listed. Maybe the link is wrong? It is stated as 2000-2009 track (but as that's the mod's title I didn't think too much of it). The track only got the new chicane in 2007? It wouldn't fit most of the mod years anyway. Also would it have 'Fosters' as a sponsor as late as 2007?

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlefysh 6/4/2022, 16:06

harvestmouse wrote:I've just redownloaded it and I definitely have the one listed.  Maybe the link is wrong?  It is stated as 2000-2009 track (but as that's the mod's title I didn't think too much of it).  The track only got the new chicane in 2007?  It wouldn't fit most of the mod years anyway.  Also would it have 'Fosters' as a sponsor as late as 2007?

Easy way to check is the road sections still have road markings on the track and the pit exit goes straight into eau rouge at the bottom of the hill. Unfortuntely I can't screenshot what it's listed as because my GTR2 doesn't start right now.

In the gdb file the 2007 version is called FIA GT 00-09 Spa-Francorchamps, the 1997 track is called Spa-Francorchamps GP, 1997.

The gdb file for 2007 is called Spa_GT_00_09, the 1997 version is called 7Spa_GT_00_09.

EDIT: Just checked the link for 97 Spa and it works all good. It is a separate link to the 00-09 track pack and also a separate link to the 97-99 alterations pack. I believe all the new tracks for 97-99 were released separately, an individual link for each track.
Littlefysh
Littlefysh

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 6/4/2022, 17:00

There's no public road markings so the one I used isn't from the 1990s. I just downloaded it again there's no 1990s GDB. Where are you downloading it from? Is it the same link I used?

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 6/4/2022, 20:30

I've finished the 3 European legs of my little series and now it's 3 in America. Starting off with Laguna Seca. Again I used this version of the track [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] However, I'm pretty sure I was on a later version of the circuit. It was Mazda sponsored (instead of Honda of the late 90s) and the pits looked a little later than the 1990s. So I'm really not sure what is going on here. Still the differences are cosmetic only, so don't really make any real difference.

Qualifying: Yes.................er no (see below)

Rolling start

Afternoon/early evening

1. How did it feel to drive? 0.5

The level of grip for this track was unbelievable. I felt like I was in an F1 car. Lap times were extremely accurate (1.18s). However, I don't think Laguna has this level of grip. It might be to stop AI cars from sliding off maybe. Apart from that it was fine.

Beautiful, but not circa 1997-1999 I think. Although there were D2 period sponsors. Again confusing. The approach to the hill looks much better than the Laguna I usually use and the sunset and sky later in the race was amazing. The most beautiful sky I have seen on GTR2. I didn't see any Orca or Grey Whales in Monterey bay though Sad

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 0.5

Above average DNFs due to fuel. Not a horrendously large amount but more than I expected. Maybe pit stop issues, though I saw none. Very few spins, a few with lapping cars.......which I don't mind.

I was a little faster than I expected to be. However, it's a very unique track. The Toyotas and Nissans were nowhere near as fast as they had been. Authentically the Porsches were right on the money today. I felt the period after 'cold brain' had gone was extremely good. Usually I lose time in this period but I was firmly stuck in place, which was pleasant. I think this all might have been to do with the level of grip, which if so..........validates why it is so grippy.

It's a very pretty track with plenty of roadside markers. However, Laguna is pretty unique in that a lot of the braking points are done by 'where you are' on the track or..............................I've been driving here so long, that's how I brake now.

No issues. However, Laguna is very small. Sub 1.20 for 1998 GT1s. So, you'll end up with queues of cars if you run big fields. There's not much you can do about that.

Yeah I had a great if 'unique' race. Finishing 8th in a 1997 Labre Evo is higher than I should have finished. Although 97/98 Porsches were at their best at Laguna. I had to be on it all race and did feel the grip going and the car getting softer towards the end. Possibly because of tires or maybe the early evening.

Rock solid.

Qualifying was a disaster...............As I forgot to plug in my steering wheel and the game made me miss qualifying when I reloaded it. However, I didn't notice any problems with the other cars (I guess the AI plugged their wheels in........). I did notice that the stalls were very cramped. There was a car very close to mine. This is probably a good thing in that the creator was mindful of making sure cars had stall spaces. The start was faultless, all cars started even when spacing through the parade lap. Pit entry and exit were fine apart from 2 cars that DNFed due to fuel stopping right at the pit entrance. Something was certainly up with that.

Yeah. I usually use the NAGP version of Laguna. It has more realistic levels of grip, but maybe a lot more spinning cars. I'm unsure which is better. Laguna of course is a great track and you'll have a lot of fun here.

Overall 8.5/10

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlefysh 7/4/2022, 15:50

harvestmouse wrote:There's no public road markings so the one I used isn't from the 1990s.  I just downloaded it again there's no 1990s GDB.  Where are you downloading it from?  Is it the same link I used?

Given your Laguna post it's in the same place, so I think you've got the right place. I agree about Laguna looking a little too modern but for me that doesn't apply to Spa. Again, all I can think is the track list. Laguna is listed with the other FIA GT tracks, but on that list where you pick the circuit for your race the 1997 Spa is listed next to vanilla Spa and not next to late 2000s Spa. That's the only thing I can think.
Littlefysh
Littlefysh

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 7/4/2022, 18:52

Yeah, there are no 1990s files in the folder that I'm downloading as the 1997-1999 spa, so I think the link is wrong.  My Laguna Seca folder is definitely 1990s files.  Also unlike Homstead, Laguna and Sebring the folder isn't labeled  ...........'98'.  So I think that's what has happened.  I'll post on the FIA GT topic. 'Fosters' as a sponsor strikes me as very 80s/90s so that's what confused me. Period though should be Stella and Bastos I believe.

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Littlefysh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  harvestmouse 7/4/2022, 19:25

So round 4 of my little FIA GT1 98 series is off to Homestead.  Again I'm using the period track from the FIA GT 2000-2009 mod, but the one for 1998.  Which can be found here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Generally I'm not a fan of 'Rovals'.  I despise Rockhingham and the Lausitzring.  Indy I feel is very overrated.  However, I do quite enjoy a night time race at Daytona.  And the fictional Forza track Sunset Peninsula gave me some of the best online racing I have had.  A Forza 3 Super GT race there was on of my all time great experiences.

Rolling start

Sunny

Pretty good.  The level of grip is where I expect.  There are some concrete patches (like on the Nurburg's Carousel) that add to the feel.

2. How does the track look?  0

Zero is a little harsh.  However, I left the pits and headed straight onto the grass on the other side of the circuit thinking that was the circuit.  The grass is very washed out and the circuit is pretty bland.  The tarmac is a little underwhelming, but there is a bit of character to it.  The barriers are a sea of samey green.  The palm trees are a nice feature though.

3. Any bugs/AI bugs? 1

All cars finished.  This track is pretty rock solid.  As the game wasn't built around Roval racing, that's quite an achievement.  

I qualified in 3rd place in a 1998 GT1 circuit that I didn't know at all and in a 1997 spec car.  I simply followed other cars around the circuit.  During the race I noticed that the AI was pretty slow through the endless parade of 2nd gear corners.  That said, I finished 8th overall and during the race the AI was pretty competitive, but not too aggressive.  You probably want to up the AI by 1% or 2% on what you usually run.

The circuit is very very bland.  There are markers for corners, but very high above the circuit.  Difficult to pick out in a closed cockpit GT1/Prototype.  There's a tire line, but it's very easy to go wrong and lose your way here.  I think I only got pit entrance correct once.

No issues, this track seems very rock solid.  However, just like Laguna it's a very short track.  1998 GT1s blast round in 1.16s/1.17s.  On top of this, it's very very difficult to overtake.  A Nissan qualified in 1st, however, the 2nd place Toyota was much much faster.  Maybe 1.5 seconds a lap faster, but.........it took the Toyota 8 laps to overtake the NIssan.  This would cause a lot of problems in a big field race.

I actually got a comment from somebody who could hear my race.  'Is your car saying 'no no no'?  This was because of the endless 5th gear to 2nd gear corners.  There are so many 2nd gear corners on this circuit.  It's very repetitive.  That said there are some fun sections.  There are 2 high speed corners leaving the oval, that are a bit different to each other.  Getting these right is fun.  Also getting as close to the banking as possible preparing for the corners is a bit of a rush.  The grip level especially on the little concrete blocks feels great.  Generally though.........it suffers from the same problems all rovals do.

Rock solid.

Surprisingly great.  Zero problems in qualifying.  Zero yellow flags and all cars did the required laps.  Entering the pits is a bit confusing, especially as the other side of the circuit is identical.  The AI had no problems though and it is safe from causing stacks.  The exit of the pits looks very very dicey.  I dreaded it.  However, there weren't any problems and there's good vision there.

I did have a good race. It's far from the worst Roval out there.  One major fault was that in a 65 minute race with tire wear x3 (so 3 hours 15 minues) I didn't change tires once.  Sure my rears were totally gone by the end, but tire wear is crazily low.  You probably want to alter this figure a little.  I started in 3rd, but I think qualifying times were a bit weird.  The works Porsches and Toyotas didn't qualify that well, but were clearly the fastest cars.  This meant I faded to 8th, which is pretty realistic I think.

Overall 6.5/10  however, if you like rovals, you'd mark it much higher.

Lee Day
harvestmouse
harvestmouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next