European Endurance Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Facebook
EEC Friends
RacingCircuits

New topics
» introduce
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime25/4/2024, 01:18 by VitinKratos

» SuperGT GT300 2018-2019 3d Models
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime22/4/2024, 16:42 by vadhil

» Itaipava GT Brasil 2010 V1.3
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime4/4/2024, 11:59 by Orteva

» South East
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime28/3/2024, 22:53 by sandersk

» Looking for NASCAR skins?
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime28/3/2024, 17:03 by why_not_simracer

» Help needed FRM TOURING CARS
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime24/3/2024, 15:42 by fjs

» La Dehesa Conversion from rFactor for GTR2
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime24/3/2024, 04:11 by hundo

» introduce
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime22/3/2024, 12:04 by teufteuf72

» Hello from Japan
How does a poor man become a racing driver? I_icon_minitime21/3/2024, 09:12 by GRtoyotafan2

How does a poor man become a racing driver?

2 posters

Go down

How does a poor man become a racing driver? Empty How does a poor man become a racing driver?

Post  Guest 7/3/2017, 06:10

Before I start, let me jus say... Hey! I'm Back! My computer is back up, and I managed to remember which email I had signed up here with.

So, that out of the way, does anyone here know how a 17 year old, with no money, who is only capable of earning minimum wage, and not much prior experience, becomes a racing driver? I love almost every form, so that's a non-issue. I also have a talent for it, but I haven't had the opportunity to really see the extent to which that talent goes. One thing I do know, is that when I get in a car, I learn it relatively quickly, but, that was one car one time, on an oval. Does anyone know what I can do? I'm asking all over the internet for an answer that actually works. It's my lifelong dream, and I wont have it be crushed by circumstance. Any ideas?

Back to top Go down

How does a poor man become a racing driver? Empty Re: How does a poor man become a racing driver?

Post  Nectaria 7/3/2017, 07:45

Karting or Junk car rallycross are widely accepted as the most budget friendly racing sports...well except for simracing on a PC.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Koen Verlinde
3RD PLACE PRO CUP GT MASTERS 2012-2013 Mercedes SLS
5TH PLACE PRO CUP ENDURANCE SERIES 2012-2013 Ferrari F430
3RD PLACE WTCC 2013 BMW 320si
3RD PLACE LMP2 WEC 2013-2014 ORECA 03
1ST PLACE GT OPEN GTE 2013-2014 JAGUAR XKR
5TH PLACE SUPER V8 - HOLDEN COMMODORE 2016

4TH PLACE LMS - Oreca 03 LMP2 2016
1ST PLACE GT Series Am cup and Sprint Am Cup 2016-2017 BMW M6
2ND PLACE GTE Class - LMS 2016-2017 Ferrari F488
1ST PLACE GT America Series Silver Cup and Endurance Silver cup 2017 BMW M6

Nectaria
Nectaria

Back to top Go down

How does a poor man become a racing driver? Empty Re: How does a poor man become a racing driver?

Post  mattwal1996 7/3/2017, 11:14

You also have kanacross, motorkhana, and hill climbs, also 24 hours of LeMons...

Most of those you can run in a car from the wreckers, hill climbs you can run in your daily...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Matthew Walther; Bathurst Australia
3rd - 2016 Le Mans Series - GT Am - Reiter Engineering Gallardo LP600 FL2
5th - 2016 ADAC GT Masters - Trophy - #22 Prosperia UHC Audi R8 LMS Ultra
8th - 2016/17 EEC GT Series - GT Am - #61 Commonwealth Autosports Audi R8 LMS
10th - 2016/17 EEC LMS Series - GTE - #61 Commonwealth Autosports Ferrari 488 GTE
5th - 2017 EEC GT America - Silver - #61 Commonwealth by VANDAS Engineering Nissan GTR GT3
4th - 2017 EEC International Endurance Cup - GT - #66 Commonwealth by VANDAs Engineering Nissan GTR GT3 #Mintzilla

We race for fun and to make friendships, winning is not everything
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mattwal1996
mattwal1996

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/3/2017, 13:11

Without money is difficult, you'll have to spend something I guess.
If I had to try it I'd try to be seen doing more than perfection in a gokart so maybe there could be a chance somewhere of a sponsor. Those programs like GT Academy could also help, all those guys actually had real life experience, none of them came from just playing a video game which is why it's important to be on go karts.
But if you have access to ovals that could also worth a shot.
Anyway all of it will cost money.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 7/3/2017, 14:02

Mikal,
I was 15 when I started with the same dream. At 16 I got very "poor" with family problems. But I continued to chase it in SCCA. E production and Formula V.
I'm remembering a reality TV show from a while back hosted by Tommy Kendall about fledgling racers. Great show. He gave a great piece of advice which I'd wished someone had told me;
'Your talent will have absolutely nothing to do with your success in this sport'
He's right. There are tons of outstanding drivers that we've never heard of. I drove against some who were marvels. And there are famous ones that you could beat on track.
So pick a series (karting, Late Models, etc) and go in with some other guys that have the same dream. Put everything you have into the car / kart and your driving. But more importantly, spend double that amount of time building relationships that lead to sponsorships.
Those relationships lead to $ or knowledge. That's what will make you successful.
Browse the website below for some good stuff too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down