Those download link-jacking ads are atrocious and EEC should be ashamed

Go down

Those download link-jacking ads are atrocious and EEC should be ashamed

Post  shovas on 9/9/2018, 21:40

Those download link ads are *the worst* kind of ads you could possibly be putting up on your site. It's so bad. They maliciously open many popups and I'm sure are distributing hacks and malware for those on vulnerable browsers and operating systems.

Instead of hijacking links like that what about crafting your own custom 'going offsite' page with a clean style and well-placed ads?

Also consider this key piece of ad placement advice in the forums: Place the ads where eyeballs will be looking. Hint: Very top and sidebars are ad blind-spots for most users. That means putting ads in the content (tastefully, not hijacking the content but in areas where eyeballs will scroll over).

I don't necessarily like ads but if you're going to do advertising there are better ways to do it.

Consider making a premium paid membership like nogrip and racedepartment to allow removing all those ads.

Hope this has come across as the constructive criticism it was meant to be.

Last edited by shovas on 10/9/2018, 01:07; edited 2 times in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Matthew Gallant from Toronto, Canada | Secrets of GTR2 | Intel Core i7 2600K @4.2GHz OC / DeepCool GAMMAX 400 CPU Cooler / ASUS P8Z68-V / Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @1333Mhz / OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD / Gigabyte G1 Gaming NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6GB / 3x Benq GL2760H NVIDIA Surround / SimXperience AccuForce Pro / ProtoSimTech PT-2 Pedals / Obutto R3volution / Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound / Windows 7 64bit Home

shovas

Back to top Go down

Re: Those download link-jacking ads are atrocious and EEC should be ashamed

Post  Kalinin on 9/9/2018, 21:53

I use Ab block so I have no problem with ads
Not sure what we can do about it, I never went too deep into the forum options but I'd believe these ads are added by Forumotion themselves and unless you pay them to give us a premium forum (that comes with https what would let us use the facebook app)  we cant change that.
Some of these ads are put by the file hosts themselves (like Mediafire), to dodge that you can use the code option, like this

Code:
https://www.mediafire.com/
Or you can just copy the link and remov ethe ads part manually in the url tab.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Will Mazeo
The only way to God is called Jesus, not religion, just Jesus.
Kalinin
EEC Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpyo on 11/9/2018, 08:02

Those ads aren't put in by admins of this forum. They are there by decision of forumotion.org.

If you are so keen to remove them you can pay for the private web server, give that subscription to admins and ads will be gone.

Marijo Pecigus [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Scorpyo

Back to top Go down

Post  gtracer123 on 11/9/2018, 18:17

It looks like you don't know the trick to remove them.

When you have a link highlighted somewhere at your page (depending what browser you are using)
you can see the full link name. Copy it then paste it into your browser URL. Whatever that you see before "[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mediafire/zippyshare sites, highlight them and remove them then press enter and you should be opening the correct page. Now at mediafire page, right click on download in the green rectangular and click on open in new tab and it should work out normally as it does to me, same for zippyshare site but the download rectangular is in orange color.

How to upload a link without ads as I got this question from several pms in the past.
Once your file has finished uploading (at mediafire), a window with the link will open.
Highlight everything starting from "[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] till the end of it then copy it.
When you paste it here or on other forums it should be a direct link to the download page and the full link will be...
"[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
and not...
"!@#$%^&*[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This will allow to click the link right away with no ads if you want to. But then you'll have to do the right click and open in new tab thingy I said above at the download page.

This works 99.9% if not 100%, for me. So hope it helps or you can also use Kalinin's code method.

Joe Saade [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Audi - Truth in 24 - by Len Riojas - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Audi - Truth in 24 II- by AudiofAmerica - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
gtracer123

Back to top Go down

Post  shovas on 12/9/2018, 17:06

Actually, I am aware of the copy-paste-edit trick but (A) that's annoying and tedious to do forever, (2) the kinds of ads these forums have just unacceptable in this day and age of the internet. So many popup/popunders, questionable ad content, almost certainly delivering malware to vulnerable systems because of the use of disreputable advertising. So bad.

I tried to find the price of a premium Forumotion forum but couldn't find.

What does it cost?

Matthew Gallant from Toronto, Canada | Secrets of GTR2 | Intel Core i7 2600K @4.2GHz OC / DeepCool GAMMAX 400 CPU Cooler / ASUS P8Z68-V / Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @1333Mhz / OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD / Gigabyte G1 Gaming NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti 6GB / 3x Benq GL2760H NVIDIA Surround / SimXperience AccuForce Pro / ProtoSimTech PT-2 Pedals / Obutto R3volution / Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound / Windows 7 64bit Home

shovas

Back to top Go down

Post  gtracer123 on 12/9/2018, 17:58

Well if you're talking about ads being on the pages here, I don't see any of them and I have adblock too.

If you're talking about the download links only then admins can take my method on how to post direct links pages. Additionally, there is a topic somewhere here I guess, about how to post a direct link with the code method but seems majority of members are either ignoring it (since many know how to remove ads) or unaware of it. But to be honest I see my way is faster since you still need to highlight the link then just highlight starting from the 3 w's and that should be it.

Now if you're talking about a system like nogripracing had, we just click on download and we can say thanks then that will be a nice addition to forumotion.

If you are a flight sim guy too then you would notice such forums like that at each respective one. Like nogrip, there is a section precised and made for downloads.

I don't know about costs but I may know that if you visit them and start one from there you will get to a page of informations and payware stuffs if that's what you are asking. That's how it was the last I checked.

Joe Saade [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Audi - Truth in 24 - by Len Riojas - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Audi - Truth in 24 II- by AudiofAmerica - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
gtracer123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum