ilu2404 (3974)

JorritVD (3024)

bmwcrash (2417)

alexmezza (2394)

Totenkopf (2281)

dbr93 (2224)

Nectaria (2058)

Maxellero (1518)

How does a poor man become a racing driver?

Go down

How does a poor man become a racing driver?

Post  GravityBeats on 7/3/2017, 07:10

Before I start, let me jus say... Hey! I'm Back! My computer is back up, and I managed to remember which email I had signed up here with.

So, that out of the way, does anyone here know how a 17 year old, with no money, who is only capable of earning minimum wage, and not much prior experience, becomes a racing driver? I love almost every form, so that's a non-issue. I also have a talent for it, but I haven't had the opportunity to really see the extent to which that talent goes. One thing I do know, is that when I get in a car, I learn it relatively quickly, but, that was one car one time, on an oval. Does anyone know what I can do? I'm asking all over the internet for an answer that actually works. It's my lifelong dream, and I wont have it be crushed by circumstance. Any ideas?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mikal Rashid
GravityBeats

Back to top Go down

Re: How does a poor man become a racing driver?

Post  Nectaria on 7/3/2017, 08:45

Karting or Junk car rallycross are widely accepted as the most budget friendly racing sports...well except for simracing on a PC.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Koen Verlinde
3RD PLACE PRO CUP GT MASTERS 2012-2013 Mercedes SLS
5TH PLACE PRO CUP ENDURANCE SERIES 2012-2013 Ferrari F430
3RD PLACE WTCC 2013 BMW 320si
3RD PLACE LMP2 WEC 2013-2014 ORECA 03
1ST PLACE GT OPEN GTE 2013-2014 JAGUAR XKR
5TH PLACE SUPER V8 - HOLDEN COMMODORE 2016

4TH PLACE LMS - Oreca 03 LMP2 2016
1ST PLACE GT Series Am cup and Sprint Am Cup 2016-2017 BMW M6
2ND PLACE GTE Class - LMS 2016-2017 Ferrari F488
1ST PLACE GT America Series Silver Cup and Endurance Silver cup 2017 BMW M6

Nectaria

Back to top Go down

Post  mattwal1996 on 7/3/2017, 12:14

You also have kanacross, motorkhana, and hill climbs, also 24 hours of LeMons...

Most of those you can run in a car from the wreckers, hill climbs you can run in your daily...

Matthew Walther; Bathurst Australia
3rd - 2016 Le Mans Series - GT Am - Reiter Engineering Gallardo LP600 FL2
5th - 2016 ADAC GT Masters - Trophy - #22 Prosperia UHC Audi R8 LMS Ultra
8th - 2016/17 EEC GT Series - GT Am - #61 Commonwealth Autosports Audi R8 LMS
10th - 2016/17 EEC LMS Series - GTE - #61 Commonwealth Autosports Ferrari 488 GTE
5th - 2017 EEC GT America - Silver - #61 Commonwealth by VANDAS Engineering Nissan GTR GT3
4th - 2017 EEC International Endurance Cup - GT - #66 Commonwealth by VANDAs Engineering Nissan GTR GT3 #Mintzilla

We race for fun and to make friendships, winning is not everything
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
mattwal1996

Back to top Go down

Post  Kalinin on 7/3/2017, 14:11

Without money is difficult, you'll have to spend something I guess.
If I had to try it I'd try to be seen doing more than perfection in a gokart so maybe there could be a chance somewhere of a sponsor. Those programs like GT Academy could also help, all those guys actually had real life experience, none of them came from just playing a video game which is why it's important to be on go karts.
But if you have access to ovals that could also worth a shot.
Anyway all of it will cost money.

Will Mazeo
The only way to God is called Jesus, not religion, just Jesus.
Kalinin
EEC Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 7/3/2017, 15:02

Mikal,
I was 15 when I started with the same dream. At 16 I got very "poor" with family problems. But I continued to chase it in SCCA. E production and Formula V.
I'm remembering a reality TV show from a while back hosted by Tommy Kendall about fledgling racers. Great show. He gave a great piece of advice which I'd wished someone had told me;
'Your talent will have absolutely nothing to do with your success in this sport'
He's right. There are tons of outstanding drivers that we've never heard of. I drove against some who were marvels. And there are famous ones that you could beat on track.
So pick a series (karting, Late Models, etc) and go in with some other guys that have the same dream. Put everything you have into the car / kart and your driving. But more importantly, spend double that amount of time building relationships that lead to sponsorships.
Those relationships lead to $ or knowledge. That's what will make you successful.
Browse the website below for some good stuff too.

http://safeisfast.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum